scenes + details from my palm springs getaway.
September 6, 2013 § 8 Comments
This was without a doubt one of the best weekends I’ve had since I moved to California.
Spending a few days in Palm Springs was a high item on my bucket list and Labor Day seemed like the perfect time to make it happen.
Fortunately my girlfriend Cara felt the same way, hotel rates were ridiculously reasonable, and we could get there by car.
Temperatures couldn’t have been hotter (105 Fahrenheit with humidity…there are no words), the pool couldn’t have been more refreshing, the company couldn’t have been better, and the laughter did not stop.
the inside of Las Casuelas Terraza
their fiesta guacamole
palm canyon drive – the main strip in palm springs the forever marilyn sculpture – a quintessential tourist photo-op
the view from our room cara :) changeroom selfies + the best milkshakes in the world a random residential street in palm springs near where elvis and priscilla had their honeymoon home
- Accommodation: We stayed at Palm Mountain Resort & Spa in a premier pool view room with a king bed – I’d highly recommend this place – it’s very centrally located and walking distance to lots of restaurants, bars and shops
- Travel: My car
- Meals in Palm Springs: lunch at Las Casuelas Terraza (Share a bowl of the fiesta guacamole and get a peach margarita) // a dinner at Circa 59 (We ordered a lot of small share plates, which is what I’d recommend – the lobster sliders, truffle fries, heirloom tomato with burrata, warm goat cheese with figs and pistachio honey, and the scallops with ratatouille and arugula pesto were really good)
- Meals in Palm Desert: lunch at Armando’s Dakota Bar & Grill (if you go, go hungry – the portions are massive!) // dinner at Mastro’s (I ordered the dungeness crab cocktail but tried Cara’s bone marrow appetizer and I’m still having dreams about it. It’s one of the best things I’ve tried in my life. The petite filet was the perfect size – 8oz. Wishing I had had room for dessert!)
Other fun things we did that I’d recommend:
- Got vanilla malt milkshakes with toasted marshmallows at Great Shakes on Palm Canyon Drive – they were so good but so heavy they ended up being a lunch!
- Made our own body scrub, hand lotion and shower gel at Sinfulicious Bodycare (don’t let the name deter you from how awesome this place is) – if you’re into citrus smells then get the red grapefruit guava scent like me
- Bought a driving tour map at the Visitor Center and took the Hollywood Celebrity home tour - the map hadn’t been updated since 2006 and not a lot of the homes were visible so this was highly entertaining
- Shopped on El Paseo in Palm Desert
- Hit up Desert Hills Premium Outlets on the drive home – those Labor Day sales sure got me
Photos © Lauren Alboini